Monday, May 14, 2007

Happy Belated Mother's day!!!

Yesterday was just like any other day with the exception of our outing for the day. For Mother's Day I managed to snag a family pass from my work for free admission to the McMichael Art Gallery in Kleinburg, Ontario. The hubby was willing to go, the artwork breathtaking and the kids were eerily well behaved. We only had to remind my daughter a small number of times not to touch the walls or paintings and my 15 month old didn't fuss at all until the very end when he decided enough was enough he wanted to nap!

There were two pieces that struck me the hardest of all. One was a work by Takao Tanabe "low Tide" The simplicity in the fog and the incredible detail that created the "texture" in the pebbles along the shore took my breath away. Quite a few of his pieces left me in awe, however that one spoke to me the loudest. Try as I might I couldn't find a suitable (and affordable) repro to take home with me.

The second was a particular piece by Tom Thompson of The Group of Seven. I don't think there was an exact title other than Algonquin Park 1914. Please don't quote me on that, I'm still regretting not having written it down for reference. All of the Group's works are beautiful but this one patch with faint red line work in the center in the forest really struck me. Most likely due to it being of Algonquin Park. I fell in love with the beauty of that area when I went camping a few years ago and Tom Thompson had a tremendously gorgeous way of portraying it through his work. Unfortunately no repro of that piece either......

I guess I will have to make a return trip won't I?

No comments: